The earliest records of Methodists worshipping in Chipping Norton go back to 1760.
In those days they used to worship in Victoria place in a building to the rear of the butchers in Market Street.
In 1798 a new Methodist Church was built in Distons Lane.
*Eventually this became too big for their needs and a new church was built in West Street in 1868 on the site of an old public house.
The Weslyan Methodists moved into this new building while the Primitive Methodists continued to worship in Distons Lane.
In 1935 the Weslyans and the Primitives combined and so the church in Distons Lane eventually closed down and is now two private dwellings.